Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fave Crafts Blog Hop- February 15th , already???

Finished on the 15th, Fave Crafts Blog hop happens on the 15th of every month. Like clock work.

Click to go to all the other Hoppers.

I was not prepared for it all to happen on the 15th of this month, I mean everything that is happening is happening on this day!! LOL.
Not quite, but it seems like it to me right now.
So I have really finished nothing this month.
SO........... I decided to show you a quick acrylic paint wash easy background for a collage.
Thank you for stopping by. Have a great time crafting.

Clean canvas- I used a stretch canvas
Lumiere gold-true gold #550
Ne-Opaque Brown-#592
flat soft 1/2" brush
Cotton printable paper
Silk printable paper
Flowable extender- just ask Howard for it, we have it.

This was for a friend for Christmas. It is my friend Jodi's hubby, he is something of a wild west fan and historian.
He tells great stories and studies profusely.
I had the chance to blow this every step of the way (finding the wrong information or pictures) and I am making this on the 23rd of December.
I look for trivia and anything I could find on Wyatt Earp and Nelson Story two of his favorites in old west history.
Now this was fun and I took a chance with the stuff I used it could have all big propaganda and lies, but I went with it and I loved reading about these guys the myth, legend, and the lies. I wasn't there, it is all propaganda to me. I know how stories get twisted in families. Everybody does it.

I printed the pictures I was going to use on the cotton paper. It is sheet of paper with fabric attached to it so you can run it through your Ink Jet Printer (I am having so much fun with this stuff).

I printed the dates and words on a sheet of the silk paper. I used the silk for this because when I used the flowable extender the silk tends to fade away and the words are just left. This works with encaustic collage too!
I do these first to give the ink a chance to dry before I use it. Otherwise it gets on my hands and comes off in my brush too!









Flowable extender is a gel medium and if you want a thicker one you can use the Jacquard Silk screen flowable extender. The one for the Lumiere and the Ne-opaque is thinner and is nice for thinning the Ne-opaque and Lumiere and for using as a stand alone product too. I like this as a thinner more than water, even though water does work also.
I took the canvas and thinned the Brown Ne-opaque with the flowable extender and slapped it haphazardly on to the canvas. That means quickly and with no deliberation, Just do it.

Roughly looks best and you can scrub it on in places and add it on like painting a coat of paint too.














I even painted the sides of the canvas too!
That way they can be hung right away while looking for the perfect frames.

Some one should really clean up my area. LOL!











While the brown was still wet and workable and added the Gold Lumiere. In patches according to taste. I did not want the whole thing goldy, but for it to have highlights of gold in different light.


I took these pictures about midnight. Sorry for the bad lighting. You kind of see the gold in there. It is really yummy though.










Can you see it yet?




















How about now?























I messed around with the placement of the pictures before I started "gluing" them on with the flowable extender.











Here is another look at it.
You can see he was a very good looking man. I am getting a pretty good idea of what I want to go where now.

















I had some scraps of the fabric paper left over so I thought I would use a fine point Tee-juice pen and see if I could draw on the paper fairly well and you can and I am probably going to pursue this one later on.
Just think Zentangle quilts, wall hangings, or fabric collage!!! I am thinking too I could draw my own stuff heat set it and then use it in the encaustic. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
It was so easy because of the paper backing and the tee-juice pen is juicy and keeps on flowing, I loved that. It was just like drawing on a piece of paper. Sorry, side tracked. Pretty, shiny thing.





First thing you want to do when starting to use the paper is get the backing off of the fabric.
I use my scissors for this and stick the end under the fabric and pull it back from the paper. Sorry for the black nails ;-D
I lift it up around it and then get a big piece of it and pull away! If your scissors are really sharp be careful of cutting yourself and the fabric.









I paint the back and the front of the fabric with flowable extender and then paint the canvas where I want my fabric to go. I then lay the fabric picture on the canvas. I then brush more extender on and brush out any air bubbles underneath the fabric picture.






















Add more pictures overlapping them, this same way.
I don't have the finished piece pictures I will have to get you one next time I am up at Jodi's. I did a good job on these and when I gave them to her husband I found out that I didn't do too bad in my choice of pictures.
I added the dates of his birth and death and Wyatt's name in a great font and also added some more scrolly painting and highlighting with the gold paint, I have to admit I really like them and may even do some more of these.
I can also see how some of the techniques I used here could carry over in to other aspects of my art play.
Thanks for visiting.
Have a great blog hop!




My friend Anne at El Milagro studios has just done a bang up series in Gel mediums and I think you would really enjoy them you can find them here.

1. http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/gel-mediums-secret-desire-of-artists-or.html

2. http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/are-you-gellin-uuuuuuuggghhhh.html

3. http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/shiny-happy-gelling-with-my-apologies.html

4. http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/more-art-making-on-distant-shores.html

5. http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-last-splash-of-glitter.html

6. http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/divas-and-their-stories.html

7. http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/valentine-unlike-convential-hearts.html



For January's Fave Crafts Blog Hop: video's with complete tutorial for Cernit polymer clay hearts 
http://mariesegal.blogspot.com/2011/01/fave-crafts-blog-hop-i-heart-you.html


For December's Fave Crafts Blog Hop: there are some great links here if you are interested and a complete tutorial.
http://mariesegal.blogspot.com/2010/12/fave-crafts-blog-hop-today-december.html

9 comments:

  1. Marie - is there NOTHING you can't do? I expect to visit here one day and see you building a house. Or watch you work at a forge! You are simply amazing. Okay, I didn't have enough new art supplies I had to buy from visiting Anne. Now I have to add all of your cool goodies! Need more money, Marie. :)) xox!! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to say the same thing...Is there anything that you can't do? You are one talented lady, and your blog is always an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, is there anything you can't do???? You amaze me young lady!! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me Agree! Hehehe! Yes, i wanted to say the same. Youre a true artist Marie! Thanks for stopping by at my blog and my etsy shop :-) whoooohoooooooooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun stuff! Thanks for sharing this, Marie. Hope you and the family had a great Valentine's Day! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that cotton paper!! my excitement meter has just shot up even higher. i'll have to read all this another time or two to really 'get'it but your instructions are always understandable and motivating.

    you ARE pretty amazing and prolific, marie. not to mention the imp-ie fun part :)

    have fun, have fun
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH NO!! I missed your OWOH giveaway?!! I'm so sad!! I love those pieces!!! I know it's my fault, I've been swamped and am trying like mad to get caught up hopping right now! Oh well. I really do love your work! And thanks for stopping by and entering my OWOH giveaway and good luck from another So Cal gal!

    xoEsther

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this project with the FaveCrafts blog hop. We would love to publish this on the FaveCrafts site if you are interested. Send me an e-mail if you are interested and I will notify the FaveCrafts editor.

    Thanks again!

    We hope to see you hop with us next month!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  9. im your newest follower :D

    http://mciart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net