Friday, October 29, 2010

Playing with my food again-episode 5, part 3

This is a 3 part saga and you can see the other installments
here
http://mariesegal.blogspot.com/2010/10/playing-with-my-food-again-episode-5.html

and here
http://mariesegal.blogspot.com/2010/10/playing-with-my-food-again-episode-5_27.html

After we had the fence and the tree placed, we added the house. It looked good so we added some tombstones.
I marbled black and white fondant together and cut out the shape with my blade. I used the green tool(the one with a pointed end) and drew around the outside. I used the knife ended one to make cracks in one of the stones.  I "wrote" RIP on the front of one.

The leaves you see are pushed in to one of the leaves on the floral push mold. I did several different kinds of leaves to change it up a little. The leaf you see is really one of the flowers though. ;-D







We covered a cupcake with fondant and placed it on the end of the skewer and on top of the trunk. If it is a long skewer you have to cut it with cutters so I will not stick out the top of the cupcake.

We placed some of the frosting on the back of the leaves and "glued" them to the cupcake covered in fondant.

I also took 1" balls of orange fondant that I had colored myself with gel food coloring which you can also get at Pila's, made lines all the way around them with the knife-like green tool and with the pointed-end tool I poked a hole in the top where the lines met.
I took a very small ball (3/16") of chocolate fondant and rolled it into a small teardrop and placed it in the hole in the top of the pumpkin for a stem.
I then roll 2- 3/16" balls of green fondant in to teardrops and flattened them for each pumpkin and made leaves. I then placed those on top of each pumpkin with a tiny tiny bit of water (remember from previous episodes, that water breaks down fondant), to "glue" them in place.



Here you can see how we are painting the inside of the windows with chocolate frosting so that pink marshmallows do not show. Pink marshmallows do not really go well with this cake. ;-D



I decided to put in a little ghost in the doorway.  I took a 1 1/2" ball of white and rolled it in to a teardrop with a rounded point and the on the thicker end, flatten it out, then add two small 1/2" balls of white fondant for the arms. Roll them in to teardrops and place the thick ends against the ghosty's body. I made a mark for the mouth withe pointed end tool and painted chocolate frosting eyes.







This is the cake after everything was added.

We brushed the leaves of the trees with the green metallic powder.
Pretty spooky, eh?


























Here is a close up of the leaves.
I wonder if Duff is hiring?














This concludes the 5th episode.

9 comments:

  1. OMG THE LEAVES!!!!

    seeing this come together has been a trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Marie!!!!
    This just amazes me---if I have a cake that gets icing, it should feel lucky. :D
    So cool---love seeing how people do these things. (in my younger days, yes.....)

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome Marie!! I guess it does pay to play with your food!! Loved watching this come together.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me habia equivocado, no era una casita de Navidad, es de Halloween jejejeje
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if Duff is hiring but he would be proud!! Great Cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those leaves are just amazing! Maybe you SHOULD send a photo of your cake to Duff...I think he'll be impressed! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Just amazing - WAY to good to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net