Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lady Liberty


"Statue of Liberty Liberty Enlightening the World", which is the full title of Bartholdi's work was fashioned in the style of Greco-Roman art.

I love the Statue of Liberty. Really, how can I not fall in love with 60,000 pounds of repousse patina copper?

Not only is it a monumental work of art, it is a symbol of America, of freedom, and of potential.

I got to see the lady in 1997. I did not want to see it the tourist way. I wanted to feel it.






I first saw it from across the water at night. In a way similar to the way my family would have seen it coming in to the harbor. After weeks of traveling on the water.
I tried to imagine what they would have felt, the smell of the air, and the freedom of land. They had made it.


Photo September 18, en:2006 by Nightscream

Would they have almost forgotten why the hell they did this in the first place? Then, to see her there in all her glory. Emotional... yes!


I wonder if after they got here, if it was truly worth the journey, the hardship, and the heartache?
My hat is off to you Giuseppe, this is big!

17 comments:

  1. I admire your enthusiasm.

    "how can I not fall in love with 60,000 pounds of repousse patina copper?"

    Yes but, can she cook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful, but you are right; she probably can’t cook at all.
    Thanks for stopping be Clarity

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.comJune 23, 2009 at 7:37 PM

    I read all your posts and you are so talented deary!!
    I would love to feel that face
    And
    I want to make some of those beads

    Brittany
    http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my heavens Marie...this is so great!!! I love it...the meaning and the way you made this piece...wow!!!

    you are wonderful!!

    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful piece. I am a very patriotic chick, so I especially love this. I always thought if you were beautiful, you didn't have to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I wouldn't know about the beautiful and not cooking Susan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful tribute you are doing for our Lady Liberty! And doing it so beautifully, I might add. I've never seen her but would love to. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Lynda. It moves me, it is one of the most beautiful pieces of art and I have only seen it in pictures and from far away.
    But I think what she is supposed to represent shakes me to my foundations. I feel like I need to keep it in mind in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This assemblage is incredible! Unique, and fun and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie, I would like to feature this work on my blog. I wanted to ask you first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Chris, you are so very kind and I would be honored!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey doll, I just visited Lady Liberty a few days ago. She is magnificent as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you take pictures of her too Ces??
    I know I love the one in your header, are there more???

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net